[Bro] BRO on the endpoint, how to manage.

Dan Ecott dan.ecott at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 15:53:06 PST 2017

Some responses inline. I may try and leverage AWS lambda triggers on git
commits and Jamf to get new scripts down to the laptops somehow.

Thanks for your responses. I will check back in if I make any good
progress.

Dan.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 11:55 AM Mike Dopheide <dopheide at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know anyone else that's tried this, but it's an interesting
> thought experiment.  A few initial thoughts in no particular order...
>
> (1) Given that Bro can be relatively CPU intensive, your developers will
> likely hate you for having something like that running on the same system
> where they're trying to do their work.  I'd suggest setting up a one-off
> example and getting some real data on performance impact.

Definitely going to look at how this impacts the use of the laptops.
Initial assessments on my own show that  the bro processes don't use
anything more than 2% CPU with the out of the box scripts.

> (2) Cool idea!

If it works. :-)

> (3) I'd definitely run these as one-off Bro instances rather than trying
> to make it a cluster.  To start cluster communication doesn't traverse
> secure protocols.  However, that means you'll have to build up your own
> means of getting the log data, alerts, and checking on process status.

Yes. We run splunk forwarder on the laptops too and I sym link the bro logs
into /var/log which splunk forwards out for indexing. Process checking is
another thing I have to figure out.

> (4) Related to (3) most of us use Bro to passively monitor network links.
> If your Bro process is sending data back out over the same network
> connection that it's monitoring you'll need to be very careful not to build
> a snowball effect.

Agreed. Gotcha.

> (5) We've been tracking our Bro policies in git for some time now, works
> great.

cool.

> (6) Do your developers run a fairly standard system configuration on their
> endpoints or would you have to potentially build Bro for a lot of different
> environments?

Yes. This is going to be running on modern MacBook Pro laptops fully
loaded. Should be no issues.

> (7) Maybe you could have Bro running on the endpoint only when the
> developer is traveling or otherwise on a less trusted (unmonitored) network?

Worth thinking about.