[Bro] Capture Loss

Drew Dixon dwdixon at umich.edu
Thu Mar 9 13:27:55 PST 2017

Did you search the email list already or did you just join the list?  Are
you capturing the traffic from a SPAN port or a Tap?  Is your network full
of asymmetrical traffic/routing?  Answers to these two questions first is
pretty important IMO.  I responded to a very similar question around 6 days
ago or so on list...here's what I said again:

_____________________________

First I think the recommended number of workers is something like number of
*real* cores (not counting hyperthreading)  -2 so for 8 *real* cores you
would use 6 workers, if you have 16 *real* cores you probably want closer
to 14 workers if this is a dedicated bro box.  Maybe try bumping up your
number of workers and enabling cpu pinning if you haven't done so.

Have you reviewed everything located here? :

https://www.bro.org/documentation/faq.html#how-can-i-reduce-
the-amount-of-captureloss-or-dropped-packets-notices

Specifically a few things come to mind...I know you mentioned NIC settings
but are you sure you disabled all the NIC offloading features using
ethtool?, more detail on that at this link:

http://securityonion.blogspot.com/2011/10/when-is-full-packe
t-capture-not-full.html

Also, wouldn't hurt to double check the the pf_ring kernel module is
loaded/loading staying loaded?  If you patch the server and the kernel gets
updated unless you have something automated to reload/reinstall the pf_ring
module you will probably need to reload the pf_ring module for the new
kernel...

Also, did you configure the number of ring slots for PF_RING ?

Check to be sure that /etc/modprobe.d/pf_ring.conf exists for your PF_RING
installation...this is where you will configure the number of ring slots
for PF_RING, the default is 4096 I believe but on busy networks this needs
to be increased as appropriate (in increments of 4096)...the max value is
65534.  I would try that if you've tried everything else at the first link
above to no avail...

This is also a great resource re: PF_RING and number of ring slots:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/security-onion/zu7U7U9pBT8

Hope this helps,

-Drew