[Bro] Issues with Signature Framework

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Thu May 11 09:41:00 PDT 2017

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 14:18 -0400, Josh Guild wrote:

> I'm pretty sure I know the answer will be "don't use the Signature
> Framework" but I'm going to ask this question anyways. Ha.

It's actually ok to use it, just not too heavily. :-)

> I'm trying to whitelist an IP as a destination within a signature but it
> doesn't seem to work and the sig is still firing.

Couple things:

    - I assume you have seen this list of "quirks"?
      https://www.bro.org/sphinx/frameworks/signatures.html#things-to-keep-in-mind-when-writing-signatures

    - If you compile with --enable-debug and run with '-B signatures'
      you get debugging information in debug.log that may help track
      down what's going on (if you don't mind looking at some
      low-level stuff :)

    - If you cannot figure it out I can look into it but would need a
      signature and a trace to reproduce what you're seeing.

Robin

--
Robin Sommer * ICSI/LBNL * robin at icir.org * www.icir.org/robin