[Bro] webapp detection

Johanna Amann johanna at icir.org
Tue May 30 10:30:59 PDT 2017

Hi,

you are probably intermingling two things here. Detect-webapps uses
signatures to find software like phpmyadmin; it is not used to find things
like Facebook traffic.

The second one is the software framework, which tracks software versions.
If you load the right scripts it, e.g., logs Windows versions as
determined from some http headers. This also is not used for facebook,
etc.

There was a script to perform logging of information of applications like
facebook (policy/misc/app-stats). This was removed in Bro 2.5, because it
was not maintained enough and not useful in its current state.

I hope that helps,
 Johanna