[Bro] How to convert name field in smb_files.log to "readable" string?

Seth Hall seth at corelight.com
Thu Nov 30 09:18:20 PST 2017

I've been thinking about how to handle this for a while.  The data that
is being written into the log is technically already UTF-8, it's just
that non-ascii bytes are escaped.

I think we can deal with this by making a switch for the logs to make
them "UTF-8".  It would incur a bit of overhead because each string
would have to be scanned for valid UTF-8 characters before being written
and then only non-valid bytes would be escaped.

   .Seth

Seth Hall * Corelight, Inc * www.corelight.com