[Bro] Extracting files transferred over smb

Hosom, Stephen M hosom at battelle.org
Tue Oct 17 11:48:07 PDT 2017

File extraction over SMB should be fairly trivial. In fact, there's nothing limiting the plugin from doing it currently. Any of the extracted filetypes will be extracted regardless of protocol or direction--so long as Bro sees a file and it matches the extraction 'policy' configured in the plugin.

If you wanted to find files specifically being extracted from SMB, look in your files.log for entries where the source field is SMB and the extracted value isn't unset (which by default is "-").

If you're interested in a plugin that specifically targets files transferred over SMB... I could see the usefulness of that and would gladly write it sometime in the next couple nights.

Thanks,

Stephen