[Bro] Question about disable lookup_addr

SJ Lee bluebike.sjlee at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 10:13:26 PDT 2017

Hello,

Looking at reverse dns record, seeing a lot of record from the IDS sensor
nodes.
And found  bro calling lookup_addr function in few files.

I was trying to disable all lookup_addr function, but below files not able
to disable due to dependency issue.

Is here my question, is there any easy way to disable lookup_addr function?
OR  restrict  internal dns db ONLY not want to hit external dns server, is
there any way can do this?

1) /opt/bro/share/bro/base/frameworks/notice/actions/pp-alarms.bro:    when
( local h1name = lookup_addr(h1) )
/opt/bro/share/bro/base/frameworks/notice/actions/pp-alarms.bro:
when ( local h2name = lookup_addr(h2) )
/opt/bro/share/bro/base/frameworks/notice/actions/pp-alarms.bro:
when ( local h2name_ = lookup_addr(h2) )

2) /opt/bro/share/bro/base/bif/bro.bif.bro:global lookup_addr:
function(host: addr ) : string ;

Thanks,
SJ