[Bro] SMB copied files not showing in files.log

Seth Hall seth at corelight.com
Mon Oct 30 07:51:45 PDT 2017

SMB is a complicated protocol.  Windows systems will frequently call
open on remote files but not actually transfer any of the bytes of the
file.  I think there may be several scenarios where they do that and I
may not understand them all completely yet unfortunately.

Generally if some bytes of a file are transferred over SMB, that file
will show up in files.log since files.log is meant to represent the
actual transfer of files.  The confusion arising from the smb_cmds.log
file (where you saw the SMB::FILE_OPEN command) is one of the many
reasons that that log is disabled by default too.

Are you experiencing a case where you know that a file was actually
transferred over SMB but you didn't see a corresponding entry in
files.log?  If that's true, then I would really appreciate a pcap of the
problem!  I would really like to know about any cases where that isn't
working correctly.

Seth Hall * Corelight, Inc * www.corelight.com