[Bro] http response timeout

Seth Hall seth at corelight.com
Fri Sep 1 06:05:42 PDT 2017

On 31 Aug 2017, at 19:57, Dk Jack wrote:

> In my http.log, I am seeing some lines being written without response
> code
> etc. What could be the reason for this? One reason I could think of
> was,
> what if the server or some entity between bro and the server that
> dropped
> the request/response thus preventing the response from reaching bro or
> the
> connection is closed on receiving the request by a downstream security
> device. How does bro react in such cases? could one of these scenarios
> explain why the response fields are missing from the log?

You seem to have a pretty good handle on what could be causing the
problem.  One additional thing you didn't list is if you have load
balancing happening incorrectly.  That could cause the same problem
because the request could have gone to a different process than the
reply.

What would help most at this point is if you could send a conn.log entry
for a connection where you saw the http.log missing the response code
(feel free to redact IP addresses, they don't matter).

Seth Hall * Corelight, Inc * www.corelight.com