[Bro] caret and the stick

Allen, Brian brianallen at wustl.edu
Tue Sep 5 11:54:24 PDT 2017

I upgraded one of my clusters recently and I noticed that the history column in the conn.log has a caret symbol now.  The docs say:

^ = "connection direction was flipped by Bro’s heuristic”

I was wondering what exactly this means.  Which part exactly was flipped?  And which heuristic is it referring to?

Here is a line from our conn.log showing what I think is backscatter.  (Our network is 128.252.0.0/16.)

128.252.X.Y  57756   111.29.2.3      80      tcp     -       -       -       -       OTH     T       F       0       ^h      0       0       1       44

So in this example, what was flipped exactly?

Thanks,

-Brian