[Bro] Bro MITM Detection

Jim Mellander jmellander at lbl.gov
Mon Sep 25 11:48:55 PDT 2017

A couple of thoughts:

It seems that you would want to be looking for ARP poisoning directly, with
the MAC address changing.  IIRC, I've seen that happening under normal
circumstances with Apple TV, when it puts both the MAC address for both
hardwired & wireless on the wire.... Either a bug, or a feature, you
decide.....

Although Bro can generate events for ARP traffic (see
Bro_ARP.events.bif.bro), there are no policies in the current distro - bro
1.5 has ARP policies but they haven't been ported.

So the other part of your question is in relation to spurious TCP acks
containing different payload.  I haven't examined the bro source code in
detail for that circumstance (although I suspect it would be a bookkeeping
problem to maintain acked packets in the off-chance that a valid ack packet
with different contents is received), but the end host should be silently
rejecting acks for packets that already have been accepted - the first
valid packet (with correct seq #s) should win.

Also, with the randomization of ISNs in all modern OSs, this attack would
be difficult to accomplish successfully anyway, unless the attacker had
access to the span port in order to sniff the actual ISNs from the
traffic.  Of interest, however, would be if an attacker could spoof the
router's IP via ARP poisoning, and convince a host to route its traffic
through the attacker's box which would allow for payload modifications.
The span port would probably see a bunch of ARP flooding at that point.

Hope this helps,

Jim