[Bro] bro and pf_ring zc configuration success stories

radek radoslawc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 15:07:24 PDT 2017

Hi!

Anyone care to share bro + pfring success story?

What's the speed, what NIC, what's the configuration.

I'm running bro 2.5.1 built with jemalloc and gperftools and against
pf_ring 6.6.0 with ixgbe_zc on CentOS 7.2.

In ZeroCopy mode with zbalance_ipc dividing NIC to 20 application rings (-n
20) I'm getting each CPU core loaded at 100% and around 50% packet drop
(reported by netstats in broctl).

When redirecting from zc to 20 dummy interfaces (zbalance_ipc -r 0:dummy0
and so on) I'm getting around 50% load on each core and a lot less of
packet drop (10% - 15%).

This is with traffic around 700 - 800 Mbit/s

All input will be highly appreciated.

Best regards
Rado