[Bro] Bro behind a TLS reverse proxy

Azoff, Justin S jazoff at illinois.edu
Tue Apr 10 19:13:43 PDT 2018

I'm not sure what the problem is here, but it most definitely does not have anything to do with physical/virtual or nic hardware..

The lo interface is handled 100% by the kernel and doesn't touch the hardware, so this looks like some odd kernel or libpcap bug. I don't think libpcap does anything with the timestamps other than to send them along, and the fact that this seems to only happen on the synack packet points more to a kernel issue.

It's probably related to some kind of optimization for completing connections faster over loopback.

If one has time, converting the test case into a reproducable script and using it with git bisect on the kernel could track this down.

—
Justin Azoff