[Bro] Bro and Fragmentation.

Jon Siwek jsiwek at corelight.com
Mon Aug 13 10:16:50 PDT 2018

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 11:03 AM fatema bannatwala
<fatema.bannatwala at gmail.com> wrote:

> I verified the transaction ID ( 34754) with the one in the pcap capture of the same traffic from the firewall and was curious to know how Bro deals with the Fragmentation assembly and logging.

If valid IP fragments are received in a short enough interval then I'd
expect Bro to reassemble them without such visible effects on
application-layer logging.

The thing that's most suspicious in the logs here is that there's a
different connection ID (C42pXn2GRPxmh8JRBd vs. CsFVfL2czxAmhLprqj),
meaning something about these packets caused Bro to create separate
connections and finding out why that happened would also implicitly
answer the question of why fragmentation reassembly didn't happen
(reassembly state is per-connection).

Some relevant script options to check:

const udp_inactivity_timeout = 1 min &redef;
const frag_timeout = 0.0 sec &redef;

You could also check if there's any "weirds" related these connections
for possible clues.

I can also help take a look at any pcaps you have to give a more
definitive answer of what happened in this case.

- Jon