[Bro] Mapping TLS scanners JA3 => User-Agent

Johanna Amann johanna at icir.org
Tue Dec 4 13:14:56 PST 2018

Hi,

to chime in here a bit - I think this can be useful - but please give the
data in an as detailed format as possible. So - if that is possible,
please do not just include the JA3 hash and the user-agent, but also
include the parts that make up the JA3 hash (and consider including more
information).

That makes it possible to, e.g. see how close several fingerprints are to
each other, which can be useful.

Also - as a more generit remark - one has to be quite careful on how to
interpret such fingerprints; in our experience, collisions (several pieces
of software that use the same underlying library, or have the same
fingerprint for different reasons) are quite common; in our measurements
for a recent paper (http://icir.org/johanna/papers/imc18tlsdeployment.pdf)
it was so common that we did not use it for a whole bunch of data analysis
that we planned.

On a side-note - we also published a list of TLS fingerprints that were
generated for that paper; it is accessible at
https://github.com/platonK/tls_fingerprints and might potentially be of
interest to some people of the list.

However, the same caeveat applies - one has to be a bit careful on how to
interpret the data.

Johanna