[Bro] Mapping TLS scanners JA3 => User-Agent

Neslog neslog at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 18:45:18 PST 2018

Thank you all for the feedback.  The goal of this work is to provide a more
realtime aggregation of JA3 information and mappings.

I've spoken with Johanna previously and completely agree aggregating the
client hello details.  This data set could be really great for research as
she said above.

My thought would be to try and host something like the SSL Notary.  This
would be continually growing while most JA3 databases are stagnant, or at
most periodically updated.  There are several different mappings that I'd
be interested in tracking.  I'd like to build a couple of scripts that
could be distributed to feed back into a database.  Some of the mappings
I'd like to see are the following:

JA3, JA3 string+(additional details), User-Agent strings.
JA3, JA3 string+(additional details), Host Application Info

Then make this data available via some type of API.  We could provide a
REST API or maybe a DNS type lookup.  It'd be quite an undertaking but if
others find it of interest and can contribute I'd be able to get more
cycles for it.

Thoughts on this approach?