[Bro] Stripping SSL on network level

Michał Purzyński michalpurzynski1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 15:10:44 PST 2018

Well, the design of SSL makes it impossible to strip it at the network level.

How’s that usually done is, there’s a proxy that terminates each connection and initiates a new one, generating certificates on the fly for every destination site, signed by a CA sitting on that proxy, that’s trusted by clients.

What that means - you need to configure your clients to trust that CA anyway.

Before someone mentions SSLstrip - it looks for HTTP connections before they are 302 to the SSL endpoint. If connection is SSL end to end, it won’t do anything.