[Bro] Bro and systemd without broctl

James Lay jlay at slave-tothe-box.net
Thu Jun 28 17:59:21 PDT 2018

Hey all,

So...I run a very lean box, and that means not using broctl.  With
older versions of linux rc.local was just fine to get a script to start
bro, but with systemd it's not the same.  My startup script is similar
to the below:

cd /opt/bro/spool/bro && /opt/bro/bin/bro -C -i eth0 -i eth1 --filter
'long filter option here' local "Site::local_nets += {
externalIP,internatNET }" &

This has worked like a champ but this command in a .service file or the
.service file pointing to a script that contains the above does not
work.  So I have a couple points/questions:

1.  Has anyone worked out a systemd .service file with bro that doesn't
use broctl?

2.  It would be nice to have a command line flag that can be used to
specify the log path, this way I could forgo the cd command above.

Thank you.

James