[Bro] Trying to get a simple detection on certificate hashes to fire

Mike Eriksson mike at swedishmike.org
Thu Mar 1 03:08:17 PST 2018

Hi all,

I'm trying to create, what I assume should be, a simple detection and
notification based on certificate hashes. Sadly I seem to have gotten
something very wrong - since it doesn't fire at all.

What I've done is that I've created a file named certstream.bro with the
following content:

<- Cut ->
@load base/frameworks/intel
@load frameworks/intel/seen
@load frameworks/intel/do_notice

redef Intel::read_files += {
  "/usr/local/bro/share/site/certstream/intel.dat"
};
<- Cut ->

I load this file from local.bro with no errors or complaints, it shows up
in loaded_scripts.log and all that.

The file I reference as my 'Intelligence file' looks as follows:

<- Cut ->
#fields indicator       indicator_type  meta.source     meta.do_notice
7B00009ACF21C67564F1AC3C31000000009ACF  Intel::CERT_HASH        certstream
Stolen hash from the x509 log        T
0551B592FA53CF2052B8B70F275CC159        Intel::CERT_HASH        certstream
Stolen hash from the x509 log        T
2AA9E2483E8C62DF0037D183        Intel::CERT_HASH        certstream Stolen
hash from the x509 log        T
<- Cut ->

The hashes I'm using are taken from my x509.log - just to make sure that I
tested against something that comes up quite a lot in our environment. I've
been using data from the field 'serial' - since there is no actual field
called 'hash' in either x509.log or known_certs.

Have I been using the wrong identifier or is there some 'hash all certs'
setting somewhere that I've missed?

As always - grateful for any tips or pointers.

Thanks in advance, Mike
--

website: http://swedishmike.org
twitter: https://twitter.com/swedishmike