[Bro] Bro capture loss without dropped packets

Mike M turbidtarantula at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 16:07:46 PDT 2018

Hi,

Bro is reporting capture loss without dropped packet notices. I've read the
FAQ entry and poked around, but I'm not sure why I'm seeing this behavior.

I'm running Bro in a docker container on a low-end box and I want to see
where it starts having performance problems. I've got the Bro box directly
connected to a box where I'm running tcpreplay at various speeds using
different pcaps.

At 10Mbps everything works as expected. As I increase the speed (20Mbps,
30Mbps... 200Mbps) I start to see capture_loss reported in the 10-30%
range, but no dropped packet notices.

Running tcpdump on the box as a sanity check, it collects all the packets
at all speeds.

The Bro box has an Intel NIC, and I've turned off tso, gro, etc per the Bro
FAQ entry.

I'd think it was an artifact of the pcap, but I've seen the same results
using both my own captures and publicly available ones.

Getting up into the 200Mbps+ range I started to see dropped packet notices,
as I'd expect.

Is the capture loss at low rates just something odd about replaying pcaps
at various speeds, or are there additional things I should check in my
setup?

thanks,
Mike