[Bro] getting bro 2.5.5 source

Jeffrey Poore openshift.ninja at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 13:11:32 PDT 2018

Hello community. I have been building Bro from source, but I realized
that I don't want to be downloading the tip source but rather the 2.5.5
source. I tried grabbing the source from GitHub at
https://github.com/bro/bro/archive/v2.5.5.tar.gz, but when I do a
configure inside this directory, it fails because the cmake directory
inside is empty.

I was doing a recursive clone of the git repo:

$ git clone --recursive https://github.com/bro/bro.git

I noticed that there is a 2.5 release branch, so I checkout that:

$ git checkout release/2.5

But then when I try to run things, it breaks when I run check on the
scripts (it's like the Bro interpreter is 2.5 but the scripts are 2.6?).
I even tried doing this, without the recursive clone, but it still
didn't work:

$ git clone https://github.com/bro/bro.git
$ git checkout release/2.5
$ git submodule init
$ git submodule update
$ ./configure <fails>

Unfortunately, our proxy doesn't let us get to bro.org currently, so I'm
trying to make this work from the github repo. Any ideas?