[Zeek] Kafka plugin causes logger to segfault

Patrick Cain pcain at coopercain.com
Tue Apr 23 12:07:02 PDT 2019

Hi,

You don't say what version you're running, but with 2.5 and 2.6 I use these
lines along with the kafka config:

### JSON LOGGING
@load tuning/json-logs
# Set the log separator
redef Log::default_scope_sep = "_";
# Set the time in iso format
redef LogAscii::json_timestamps = JSON::TS_ISO8601;

Your kafka config looks close to mine (I leave the topic_name field blank.)
My kafka emitter has been running on Centos 6, Centos 7 and RHEL7 systems
for about a year.
Can you manually connect to your broker from the zeek box?  I have had
issues in the past when the logger was happy but other things in the pipe to
zookeeper and kafka were unhappy.

Pat