[Zeek] Threat Intel Framework not generating intel.log

Patrick Cain pcain at coopercain.com
Thu Aug 8 14:25:13 PDT 2019

Hi,

You may already have done this stuff, but from my adventures with the intel
framework.

The reporter.log and the stderr.log spit out error messages when the intel
framework loads/changes/etc. If you're sure that you're loading all three
intel scripts, then there may be useful data in those log files. The intel
files only get generated when there is an intel 'hit', so if you loaded
intel files with IOCs that you may never see, you'll never see an intel.log
file. I normally ingest a "bad_things.intel" file that I manually add
non-bad things to just to make sure the intel framework is still
functioning, Like my corporate server address or security friends blackhole
servers. When i'm worried that the intel framework may be confused, I just
visit whatever is in the bad_things file and - viola - I get an intel.log
entry.

Note that the intel files have an exact syntax. I've been burned by 'vi'
changing the first tab in the 'fields' line to a space and the intel file
never loads. I'm pretty good at decoding 'od -c *.intel' output now. :(

Pat