[Zeek] Detection of packets with no TCP flags set

eshelton eshelton at butler.net
Wed Feb 27 19:47:57 PST 2019

Good evening,

My Google-fu is failing me right now, so I wanted to reach out to the list
to see if anyone has ever attempted to use Zeek to detect packets with no
TCP flags set?

In Snort land, a signature would look something like this:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 443 (msg:"LOCAL Port 443 and no
TCP flags set"; flags:0; classtype:misc-activity; sid:7;)

Before anyone asks, I'll just ahead and state that "yes Virginia, these
packets do really exist in the real world..." (though rare).

Thanks in advance,

-E