[Zeek] Using the Corelight Splunk App with Zeek?

William Arbaugh waa at cs.umd.edu
Tue Jan 22 08:49:53 PST 2019

Eric,

Thanks for the blog! It definitely helped me. I'm a novice with Splunk.

My issue was mostly on the splunk end, and a few things with Zeek. I
changed the following from your blog on my Zeek instance:

1. I changed the index to main from corelight. I could have created the
corelight index I suppose and it still would have worked.
2. I used the JSON streaming package from Seth which required changing the
file names to be forwarded. That change cleaned up the JSON that I was
seeing on Splunk.

On the splunk instance, I just issued 'splunk enable listen 9997' on the
command line. Previously, I had set-up a more complicated receiver using
the GUI which I deleted which also contributed (likely) to cleaning up the
JSON.

All is well now - the overview page doesn't populate since I can't figure
out which log file has those metrics to forward. The remaining tabs are
working like a charm now.

Thanks for the blog!

Best, Bill