[Zeek] Query reagrding Bro Ids

Aashish Sharma asharma at lbl.gov
Wed Jul 17 13:02:18 PDT 2019

Manoj,

(Apologies for the delayed reply!)

> we do not have taps/sensors as of now. if we have taps placed at right
> places , may you elaborate what kind of difficulty we may face?

That is generally the most difficult part - to put the taps in right places to be
able to sniff the bytes - gain visibility.

YOu might have issues with encryption - in which case you'd still see connection
info but not the contents. I know some sites have workaround where the taps are
'beyond encryption' - ie you might want to tap behind load balancers where SSL
terminates etc.

If you are able to do that, you should be able to get zeek running and seeing
the traffic and also reporting tcp flags/states etc.

> Also let me know if we can filter and send the traffic (without payload)
> according to our requirement e.g. flags only like syn, synack,ack, timeout
> etc to zeek for troubleshooting.

Yes, you can do that - as long as control packets are sent, zeek is able to
handle most, if not all, of connection info. We at Berkeley Lab do this for one
of our deployment.

> May you please share some data/charts depicting the information we are
> looking for (as per the trail mail ) so that we may proceed further.

I am afraid I don't have data/charts for information you are looking for handy
with me. I'd advice you should run zeek on a laptop/linux box - feed it some
data and see if you are seeing what you desire. If so, you can scale up to your
needs.

roughly 4 years ago we did write a document which shows how you'd deploy zeek:
go.lbl.gov/100g - may be useful.

But as far as what you seek, you should look at conn.log and try to understand
it: read this page -- has pretty detailed info on connection record:

https://docs.zeek.org/en/stable/scripts/base/protocols/conn/main.bro.html

Hope this helps.

Aashish