[Zeek] Hui Lin_DNP3 analyzer not working in current version of zeek

Jon Siwek jsiwek at corelight.com
Mon Jun 17 19:46:57 PDT 2019

Found the difference:

This behavior changed in Bro 2.5.4 (really what changed is in BinPAC
0.49, not Bro), but the new parsing behavior is legitimate.  The old
behavior just caused broken protocol grammars to possibly parse more
things than they should have, such as in cases where there wasn't enough
data to fill an array.  So it appeared to be working for you, but it
was not.

In this case, the DNP3 protocol grammar we use is either incomplete or
needs a further fix.  With some debugging for this example pcap, you can
see where the parsing is failing:

protocol violation, [orig_h=10.0.0.3, orig_p=37147/tcp,
resp_h=10.0.0.1, resp_p=20000/tcp], Analyzer::ANALYZER_DNP3_TCP,
Binpac exception: binpac exception: out_of_bound:
Request_Objects:ojbects: 8 > 0
protocol violation, [orig_h=10.0.0.3, orig_p=55021/tcp,
resp_h=10.0.0.2, resp_p=20000/tcp], Analyzer::ANALYZER_DNP3_TCP,
Binpac exception: binpac exception: out_of_bound:
Request_Objects:ojbects: 8 > 0

That's here:

https://github.com/zeek/zeek/blob/e2dc0092f3a1caea1ebc71e347663e723298fb6b/src/analyzer/protocol/dnp3/dnp3-protocol.pac#L97

You can look in the pcap (e.g. Wireshark) and see in the first READ
request that there's no objects being sent for us to parse even though
our protocol definition is written to expect that.  So that protocol
violation is legit in the sense that we've defined the protocol in a way
that differs from what's being sent on the wire.  And a protocol
violation in the case of DNP3 disables all further analysis.

You maybe understand DNP3 better than me, so please create an issue
or pull request if you come up with a fix that improves the DNP3 parser.
Attached is a naive patch that seems to generate the same number of
requests/responses as before Bro 2.5.4; maybe it helps as a
starting point or reference.

- Jon