[Zeek] zbalance_ipc and Zeek

C Blair mnmblair at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 17 05:34:04 PDT 2019

Hi Bill,
Thank you for the assist. Currently, Zeek cannot reliably capture more than 300Mbps with this configuration. When I remove zbalance_ipc and use RSS with num_rss_queues=lb_procs Zeek can capture up to 2Gbps. I need to use zbalance_ipc because I use a single capture interface with multiple consuming applications, i.e. Zeek and Snort. It seems obvious that a software load balancer will perform less than hardware, however, I don't see the same significant performance drop with other consuming applications like Snort.

Ingress Line speed:
I am using a traffic generator so I can regulate up to 10Gbps.

ZEEK node.cfg
[manager]
type=manager
host=localhost

[logger]
type=logger
host=localhost

[proxy-1]
type=proxy
host=localhost

[worker-1]
type=worker
host=localhost
interface=zc:99
lb_method=pf_ring
lb_procs=10
pin_cpus=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

ZBALANCE_IPC run config
zbalance_ipc -i zc:eth0 -c 99 -n 10 -m 4 -g 15 -S 0

PFRING-ZC INFO
PF_RING Version    : 7.5.0 (unknown)
Total rings     : 22
Standard (non ZC) Options
Ring slots     : 65536
Slot version    : 17
Capture TX     : No [RX only]
IP Defragment    : No
Socket Mode     : Standard
Cluster Fragment Queue  : 0
Cluster Fragment Discard : 0
Name      : ethØ
Index      : 40
Address      : XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
Polling Mode    : NAPI/ZC
Type      : Ethernet
Family      : ixgbe
TX Queues     : 1
RX Queues     : 1
Num RX Slots    : 32768
Num TX Slots    : 32768

System Specs:
Xeon D-1587 16 cores, 32 logical, 1.7 Ghz, 2.3 Ghz turbo, 20M Cache
128GB DDR4 2133Mhz
8TB SSD
Intel 10GBase-T X557 ixgbe