[Zeek] The deduplication during the script's loading

Jon Siwek jsiwek at corelight.com
Thu Mar 21 09:38:14 PDT 2019

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 9:54 PM Michał Purzyński
<michalpurzynski1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> During module loading, Zeek checks the inode number of each script file and silently ignores a file with the same inode as loaded previously.

That's intended/expected.

> This breaks the workflow for me. The ClearLinux packaging mechanism, by design, hardlinks identical files (if they have identical checksum).

That's interesting/unfortunate.

> Do we want to do something about it? Or is this expected? Can we, maybe, make this configurable? Should I live with this workaround?

IMO, it seems reasonable for us to have an intended file system
structure/layout of the stuff we install, so for a given packaging
system to come in and start changing that without knowing whether the
packaged-software actually relies on it seems like that's their own
fault/problem.

However, if a patch/pull-request were made that provides the same
functionality (prevent loading the same script via alternate, relative
path or symlink) and does not rely on inode, then that would likely be
accepted.

- Jon