[Zeek] ERSPAN / GRE - weird log

Ralph R. Rye ralph.rye at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 07:04:03 PST 2019

Hoping to see if someone has gotten Zeek to work with ERSPAN span sessions.

I am doing ERSPAN from a Cisco Nexus switch to a VMware host.  I can see
the traffic at the host and do tcpdump captures without any problems.

When attempting to use Zeek (3.0 or 2.6.3) all I get is entries in the
weird log for the ERSPAN traffic.

I noticed someone previously posting about it may be a GRE type issue, and
that it appears someone modified a source file to get things to work.

Here is the frame/packet header info from the ERSPAN traffic from the Nexus
9k.

As you can see it is type 0x88be

[image: image.png]

I have used Zeek quite a bit in the past with regular SPAN sessions and
TAPs, but having the capability to use ERSPAN would be a great benefit of
being able to pull in traffic from many sections of the network without
having to worry about the physical device requirements of regular SPAN and
TAPS.

I utilize ERSPAN quite a bit with tshark/wireshark for being able to
capture just the traffic I care about in a datacenter.

-Ralph