[Zeek] monitoring proxied web traffic

Michał Purzyński michalpurzynski1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 15:58:58 PST 2019

There is no way for Zeek to really correlate if the proxy does everything
at the application level, like Squid. The proxy
 terminates the connection and then it's free to start the second leg, to
the destination host, as it wishes to.

Is your traffic from clients to proxy encrypted as well?

If the traffic between clients are the proxy is not encrypted (as it's
usually the case) then even if the client will establish a TLS session
_through_ the proxy you will see a destination with the "service" field
http,ssl and all the conn + ssl + http logs.

We have that + proxy logs and that's pretty much a full visibility.