[Zeek] Certificate questions

jayf at wheeling-nisshin.com jayf at wheeling-nisshin.com
Mon Nov 18 10:44:21 PST 2019

Thanks for the answer.  I need a bit of clarification though.

Your instructions said, openssl s_client -host slscr.update.microsoft.com
-port 443 -showcerts < /dev/null | sed -n '/BEGIN/,/END/p' | openssl x509
-outform DER > o.der
(do that for each CA - ignore the "verify error")'

Wouldn't fetching each certificate overwrite "o.der".  Should that be a
">>"?  Or do need to modify "o.der" for each certificate I fetch, then do a
"python ../gen_certs.py . cacert.zeek"?  Would that grab all the .der
files?  Do I need to make a seperate, unique "cacert.zeek" to put in my
"@load" statement.

Also, I put "@/path/to/cacert.zeek" file in my
"/opt/bro/share/bro/site/local.bro" file.  I assume that's where the
statement goes?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've not found this information elsewhere.
It really is appreciated.

Jay Fluharty
Network Analyst
NS Wheeling-Nisshin Inc.