[Zeek] Communication channels

Stuart H stu.h at live.com
Thu Oct 10 14:07:48 PDT 2019

After Amber’s talk today at ZeekWeek I thought I’d pitch in some ideas to help build the community.

I think there are a few types of interaction the community has, there may be others:

  *   Asking questions
  *   Reporting bugs
  *   Announcing things

Asking questions - We could use some form of group instant messenger or more of a forum style platform. Group instant messengers include Slack, Discord, Rocket chat, Discourse etc. The key thing is to make barrier to entry low, while I use IRC it’s not exactly user friendly. Forum style platforms include Stackexchange, Discourse etc. – I see these as replacements for the Mailing list which may find difficult to use, search etc.

Reporting bug – I guess we should be using GitHub to report the actual bug but normally you need troubleshoot by asking questions or chatting.

Announcing things – Perhaps some sort of distribution list that you subscribe to? Or perhaps just pinning topics on the forum platform?

From what I’ve looked at so far Discourse looks pretty good and for open source projects you can apply for free hosting: https://blog.discourse.org/2018/11/free-hosting-for-open-source-v2/

What do you think? Any more thoughts?

Cheers,
Stu