[Zeek] Official Zeek Community Slack Channel Poll

Michał Purzyński michalpurzynski1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 01:52:20 PDT 2019

My private 2c here, not MoCo.

I strongly oppose having a closed platform chosen as a communication medium.

Slack has a long story of being hostile to projects as soon as there is an
opportunity to earn 0.25 cents.

Slack lied about the IRC compatibility, making sure to first close projects
within the slack world, promising IRC bridge would stay, and then silently
murdering it.
I'm pretty sure it was planned for the beginning, to lure projects that
would not move to slack otherwise.

Slack is notoriously behaving in a counter-inclusive manner, asking people
to switch to a certain browser, completely ignoring user's choice.

Slack user interface is so bad (on any browser) that it requires a
specialized client or it will drain your battery in no time.
I refuse installing a 3rd party software or a client from a company with a
long history of security ignorance.

Slack ignores Internet standards and bugs in web compatibility.

The list could go on, but I am strongly against closed solutions as they
give away the power over the project to a single hostile company, for them
to do whatever they want in the future.

Michal Purzynski, speaking privately, aka not MoCo. Feel free to quote me.