[Zeek] Official Zeek Community Slack Channel Poll

Amber Graner akgraner at corelight.com
Tue Oct 15 03:29:39 PDT 2019

Jan, thank you for that suggestion, no need to apologize. And no, slack has
not been settled on as the defacto choice. However, I wanted to
followup with this topic since it has been brought up twice now by the
community.

Michal, I understand the concern not only with Slack as tool, but also
using closed source tools for an open source project. In addition to
Matrix, which has been suggested by Jan, are there any other alternatives
to Slack or IRC that you would recommend?

I think the important thing to note, and I believe what the poll will
confirm, is that at the moment very few in the community are using IRC and
many in the community have expressed that they would participate more if
there was an alternative to IRC. I think most people are familiar with
Slack because it's a tool they use in their professional environments and
something they are already familiar with that fits into their current
workflow.  All of which would lower the barrier to entry and promote more
participation. However, let's look into other options as well now that it's
been brought up.

I'll leave the survey up open as planned, but will prepare to present to
the community and to the Zeek LT a comparison of all alternatives to IRC.

What other suggestions does anyone have in addition to the following:

 - IRC
 - Slack
 - Matrix
 - Discourse (chat)

If you have any other suggestions, please respond here or to me personally
before end of day on 18 Oct 2019, so that I can prepare the presentation to
you, the community and to the Zeek LT.

This discussion is great!

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and feedback.

With gratitude,
~Amber

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 3:54 AM Michał Purzyński <michalpurzynski1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> My private 2c here, not MoCo.
>
> I strongly oppose having a closed platform chosen as a communication
> medium.
>
> Slack has a long story of being hostile to projects as soon as there is an
> opportunity to earn 0.25 cents.
>
> Slack lied about the IRC compatibility, making sure to first close
> projects within the slack world, promising IRC bridge would stay, and then
> silently murdering it.
> I'm pretty sure it was planned for the beginning, to lure projects that
> would not move to slack otherwise.
>
> Slack is notoriously behaving in a counter-inclusive manner, asking people
> to switch to a certain browser, completely ignoring user's choice.
>
> Slack user interface is so bad (on any browser) that it requires a
> specialized client or it will drain your battery in no time.
> I refuse installing a 3rd party software or a client from a company with a
> long history of security ignorance.
>
> Slack ignores Internet standards and bugs in web compatibility.
>
> The list could go on, but I am strongly against closed solutions as they
> give away the power over the project to a single hostile company, for them
> to do whatever they want in the future.
>
> Michal Purzynski, speaking privately, aka not MoCo. Feel free to quote me.
>
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 1:27 AM Jan Grashöfer <jan.grashoefer at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I am sorry to open the can of worms again but is Slack already set as
>> the platform? Personally, I am in favor of a more open and decentralized
>> approach like matrix [1], which would even allow to bridge the old IRC
>> channel.
>>
>> Jan
>>
>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_(protocol)
>>
>> On 15/10/2019 03:41, Amber Graner wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > There was a question on the mailing list earlier this year and again at
>> > ZeekWeek19 about plans to create an Official Zeek Community Slack
>> Channel.
>> >
>> > Below is a 4 question 1 minute survey, please take a moment to
>> respond.  We
>> > will leave the survey up until 21 Oct 2019 5pm PT.
>> >

>> https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Official_Zeek_Community_Slack_Channel_Poll
>> >
>> > We will publish the results to the mailing list on 25 October 2019.
>> >
>> > <
>> https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Official_Zeek_Community_Slack_Channel_Poll
>> >
>> > Please let me know if you have any questions.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer these questions.
>> >
>> > with gratitude,
>> > ~Amber

*Amber Graner*
Director of Community
Corelight, Inc

828.582.9469

 * Ask me about how you can participate in the Zeek (formerly Bro)
community.
 * Remember - ZEEK AND YOU SHALL FIND!!