[Zeek] myricom driver broken w/ new CentOS 7 kernel

Mike Dopheide dopheide at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 17:21:51 PDT 2019

This is mostly just a heads-up for folks that use the myri_snf driver.
First, I have to thank Patrick Storm for bringing this to our attention
last week at the conference.

On CentOS 7, the latest 3.10.0-1062.1.2 kernel is going to break your
ability to build the Myricom driver, versions < 3.0.18.  If you don't touch
the existing driver, you may be fine.  If you try to rebuild the driver,
the compile will fail.

There is a myri_snf-3.0.19 available from CSPi, but it's not currently on
the public download page.  With this version, 2/3 systems we've tried it on
work perfectly fine.  The 3rd has so far been a big mystery.  If anyone
tries it and ends up with workers dying with an error like the following
from 'zeekctl diag' please let me know:

fatal error: problem with interface myricom::p3p2:13 (No such device)

I've got a line of communication open with CSPi.  Separately, we have a
potential workaround, but we also don't understand how it's working.  :)

-Dop