[Zeek] Errors installing af_packet-plugin

Mark Gardner mkg at vt.edu
Wed Oct 23 08:51:01 PDT 2019

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 11:39 AM James Lay <jlay at slave-tothe-box.net> wrote:

> You need to install deb kernel header package...do:
>
> apt-cache search linux-headers
>
> and find the package that matches your running kernel.

I have the kernel headers installed:

$ uname -a
Linux zeekmgr 4.19.0-6-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.67-2+deb10u1 (2019-09-20)
x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ dpkg -l linux-headers-4.19.0-6-amd64

Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name                         Version           Architecture Description
+++-============================-=================-============-=====================================
ii  linux-headers-4.19.0-6-amd64 4.19.67-2+deb10u1 amd64        Header
files for Linux 4.19.0-6-amd64

# bro-pkg install bro-af_packet-plugin
The following packages will be INSTALLED:
  bro/j-gras/bro-af_packet-plugin (1.4.0)

Proceed? [Y/n]
Running unit tests for "bro/j-gras/bro-af_packet-plugin"
error: failed to run tests for bro/j-gras/bro-af_packet-plugin: package
build_command failed, see log in
/root/.bro-pkg/logs/bro-af_packet-plugin-build.log
Proceed to install anyway? [N/y]

The error message (sent in the original post and below) suggests that there
are two problems: 1) can't find BroPlugin and 2) can't find the kernel
headers. As I demonstrated above, the headers are indeed installed. I
suspect there is a problem with the Debian package in that it does not
contain FindKernelHeaders.cmake or kernelheaders-config.cmake but then
again I don't know anything about using Cmake.

# cat /root/.bro-pkg/logs/bro-af_packet-plugin-build.log

=== STDERR ===
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:6 (include):
  include could not find load file:

    BroPlugin

CMake Warning at CMakeLists.txt:8 (find_package):
  By not providing "FindKernelHeaders.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this
  project has asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by
  "KernelHeaders", but CMake did not find one.

  Could not find a package configuration file provided by "KernelHeaders"
  with any of the following names:

    KernelHeadersConfig.cmake
    kernelheaders-config.cmake

  Add the installation prefix of "KernelHeaders" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
  "KernelHeaders_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files.  If
  "KernelHeaders" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it
  has been installed.

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:22 (message):
  Kernel headers not found.

=== STDOUT ===
Build Directory        : build
Bro Source Directory   :
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
See also
"/root/.bro-pkg/testing/bro-af_packet-plugin/clones/bro-af_packet-plugin/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

Mark