[Zeek] Does Zeek allow to inspect RTP headers?

anthony kasza anthony.kasza at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 14:35:27 PDT 2020

This is a great question and something I recently went through with
RDPEUDP. The Syslog analyzer is a good example of a simple analyzer. The
SSL analyzer is a good example of a complex analyzer.

I found comparing existing analyzers to the files which binpac_quickstart
outputs very helpful. It turns out much of the code which composes an
analyzer is template/boilerplate. *-protocol.pac and *-analzer.pac is where
most of the analyzer will live.

The README of binpac explains its DSL fairly well. It's much smaller than
Zeek's scripting language but harder, in my opinion, to debug. Some random
thoughts on binpac:
- I had issues using nested cases, so don't use them
- I ended up using temporary or "throw away" fields than I thought would be
necessary
- There are conventions but there doesn't seem to be one way of using binpac
- printf from proc_* functions is basically all the debugging info you get

Reading the Zeek docs on DPD, PIA, and the Signature Framework were also
useful if you want your analyzer to attach to connections in a robust
manner.

I hope this helps!

-AK