[Zeek] Zeek Plugins

Jon Siwek jsiwek at corelight.com
Tue Apr 14 17:22:45 PDT 2020

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 11:05 AM Justin Mullins <shadowx787 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Question, do all Zeek/Bro plugins require access to Zeek source?

Compiling plugins requires access to Zeek headers.  Those are either
available in the original source tree, or they'll get installed after
compiling/installing from source (you can remove the original source
tree afterward if you want), or various binary packages for Zeek
should also be installing headers, likely as separate dev/devel
package.

> Is it possible to pre-compile a plugin or should I always expect to run Zeek from source if I need to run plugins?

It is technically possible to pre-compile a plugin for a specific
platform and Zeek version and distribute it (e.g. in zkg package), but
don't think many will go that route, so yeah, expect to have the Zeek
headers installed if you'll be using plugins.

- Jon