[Zeek] [Reminder] - Community Call - Friday 1 May 3pm ET

Amber Graner akgraner at corelight.com
Wed Apr 29 11:48:13 PDT 2020

Hi all,

Just a reminder that we have our Monthly call this Friday at 3pm Eastern.

Please LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED AN INVITE to the call. I'll get add you
added and send you the Zoom link. I'll update the links for future calls so
it's not just an open Zoom link. Thanks in advance for understanding.

==APRIL CALL SUMMARY==

For those who weren't able to attend last month below is a summary of that
call. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to record that call; however, we will be
able to record the call this Friday.

===AGENDA===

* ZeekWeek 2020 - Cancellation (
https://zeek.org/2020/03/31/zeekweek-2020-austin-cancelled-open-letter-to-the-community/
)

   - Virtual - We are looking at options for holding a virtual ZeekWeek.
Suggestions were to make sure it wasn't an all day event and to give
options that made it easy to both present and view for varied time zones.

   - In-Person Different Location - As it gets closer to Oct we will look
at the possibility of holding a smaller in-person event possibly in Santa
Clara or other locations in the Bay Area (if it is safe to do so.

 * Zeek From Home - Webinar Series (
https://zeek.org/2020/03/31/zeek-from-home/)
   - What is it? - A weekly one hour recorded webinar series meant to
highlight anything Zeek related to include adjacent technologies.

   - Submission Criteria - It doesn’t matter where you get your Zeek: The
Zeek Project, Security Onion, Rock NSM, Bricata, Brim Security, Corelight
or others. Consider submitting a talk for this webinar series and share
what you’ve learned, best practice, challenges or tips and tricks. (As long
as it's not a sales/marketing or product pitch.  See link above for more
details.)

   - Schedule - Wednesdays at 2pm Eastern. However, We are still working on
the details and currently scheduling for May, June and July.  If you would
like to give a talk please let me know and we'll get the details worked
out.  We'll do weekly if we have enough talks.

* Zeek Package Contest (ZPC-2) (
https://zeek.org/2020/04/06/zeek-package-contest-zpc-2/)
   - Focus - The ZPC-2 contest will focus on the MITRE ATT&CK™ Framework,
more specifically packages that help detect C2 Techniques.

   - Timeline -
     o Submission opens:                 April 6, 2020
     o Submission deadline:             May 15, 2020
     o Notification:                            June 1, 2020
     o Announcement of results:      June 15th, 2020

   - Launch Date - 6 April (See link above for more details.

===NOTES===

We had about 17 people on the call.

We discussed ZeekWeek, Zeek From Home and the package contest (notes for
those items above). In addition to these topics we also discussed the
following:

* Unique and Interesting ways to Use Zeek: Also folks on the call suggested
getting people to share how they use Zeek especially around interesting
ways people can or are using Zeek data outside of scripting or network
security monitoring. Do you use Zeek to model threats?

* Community Questions into Blog Posts: We also discussed turning
mailinglist and slack questions into blog posts. A couple people from the
community have offered to help with this., but if you would like to help
and be a guest blogger, please let me know.  I'll be reaching out to folks
as we make content plans for the Zeek Blog for May, June and July.

* Updating tags and categories for Zeek Blog posts: When we switched to the
new site a lot of the blog posts aren't tagged or categorized. In order to
make sure when people search for various Zeek related topics we want to
make sure related blog posts show up in the searches.  Thank you to those
who volunteered, we're getting everything ready to give you access and plan
out the tasks.

***THANK YOU*** so much to all those who attend each month.

Please invite others and let me know if there are topics you'd like to see
discussed on these calls.

As a reminder: These calls are not for Zeek Technical/Development
discussions, but for how we can all come together to make the community
stronger and build awareness around The Zeek Project.   If you have ideas
or would like to get more involved please let me know.

With gratitude,
~Amber