[Zeek] Binary packages and 3.1

Johanna Amann johanna at corelight.com
Fri Feb 7 11:18:06 PST 2020

Hi Everyone,

with the Zeek 3.1 release around the corner, I just wanted to outline my
current plan for the binary packages.

As we outlined in
https://blog.zeek.org/2019/04/new-zeek-release-schedule.html, 3.1 will
be the first “feature release” which will exist alongside Zeek 3.0
(which sill still get patches).

I currently plan to update the “zeek” package to 3.1, and to
introduce a new zeek-lts package for people who want to stay on 3.0. The
zeek-lts package will continue to track 3.0 until zeek 4.0 is released -
at which point zeek-lts will be updated to 4.0. This means with the 4.0
release zeek-lts and zeek will essentially be the same package - until
the release of 4.1 when they will diverge again.

Please let me know if you have any feelings about this - if I don’t
hear back anything I will create the zeek-lts package in the next few
days - and write another message about it to this thread.

Johanna