[Zeek] Using Zeek with SIGMA

James Dickenson jdickenson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 21:32:56 PST 2020

Sigma is awesome to use and works well with Zeek logs in my opinion.  I've
only written a few sigma detections for Zeek but it's basically the same
process as creating any other sigma detection.  Identify what fields/values
that are of interest in the log and add those as selection criteria in the
sigma rule. Additionally you may want to write a sigma log source config to
map Zeek to the appropriate fields for the target SIEM.  There are some
good writes up on how to write sigma rules if you haven't done so before, I
would also add that you will save yourself a lot of
head-banging/frustration if you use a text editor that supports a yaml
linter like VS code or Atom.

-James