[Zeek] Update: Zeek Monthly Newsletter - Schedule and Publication Plan

Amber Graner akgraner at corelight.com
Fri Jan 10 07:33:54 PST 2020

Hi all,

As I mentioned on the 3 Jan Zeek community
<http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/pipermail/zeek/2020-January/014902.html>,
we want to roll out a monthly newsletter.

My goal is to get those published at the beginning of the first full week
of each month; however, I realized I had not shared the contribution plan,
topic ideas, where you contribute and how to get involved.

Given the above, we'll publish on Monday 13 January 2020.

Below is that information.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I look forward to
collaborating with you all.

Thanks,
~Amber

Do you want to contribute to the monthly newsletter?

Please email me (akgraner at corelight.com) and add your name and email to the
following gdoc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CkmV5XVZfz02Bu86G1yIiOmq7UJcNU5RkszT6SODChI/edit#heading=h.kvuwripro0c4

How to contribute

Below are some suggestions, but are not limited to these suggestions. The
more we do these newsletters the better and more inclusive they will
become.

* Find public articles of interest and drop into the working document.
* Write blog posts throughout the month.
* Help interview people throughout the month.
* Write 3 to 5 sentence summaries of each article we will include.
* Threat of the Month - Share how Zeek helped you or your organization.

What is the current issue that is being worked on?
Issue 1
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_0KX0d0TMQjhT2_8TTd0EjBiXmk65fipl-PQrdiaaOE/edit>
- January 2020  (Covers December 2019) (working document)
Issue 2
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1spPRm7fYDIeRgqiQ5_IM53q6kcBNjPaLSuY5tIfASx8/edit>
- February 2020 (Covers January 2020) (working document)

How will the newsletter get populated?

Throughout the month, those who want to contribute can add links to the
working document.

Then editors will go through to add a summary about each article
contributed.

The weekend before each publication date all final formatting and additions
will be done.

All of this information will be formatted and published on the Zeek, blog.

Publication Schedule
* Issue Number - Issue Name (Dates Covered) - Planned Publication Dates
* Issue 1 - January 2020 (Covers December 2019) - 13 January 2020
* Issue 2 - February 2020 (Covers January 2020) - 3 February 2020
* Issue 3 - March 2020 (Covers February 2020) - 2 March 2020
* Issue 4 - April 2020 (Covers March 2020) - 6 April 2020
* Issue 5 - May 2020 (Covers April 2020) - 4 May 2020
* Issue 6 - June 2020 (Covers May 2020) - 1 June 2020
* Issue 7 - July 2020 (Covers June 2020) - 6 July 2020
* Issue 8 - August 2020 (Covers July 2020) - 3 August 2020
* Issue 9 - September 2020 (Covers August 2020) - 7 September 2020
* Special Issue 1 - September 2020 (Covers ZeekWeek 2020) - 21 September
2020
* Issue 10 - October 2020 (Covers September 2020) - 5 October 2020
* Issue 11 - November 2020 (Covers October 2020) - 2 November 2020
* Issue 12 - December 2020 (Covers November 2020)  - 7 December 2020
* Issue 13 - Special Issue 2 - (Year End Review) - 21 December 2020

What will the newsletter cover?

Topics include but not limited to the following:

* Development Updates
   --Release Schedule
   --Release Notes
   --Feature Updates
  --Security Updates
* Zeek in the News
* Interviews with LT/Core Contributors/Other
* Threat of the Month with a Summary of how Zeek plays into
hunting/detection/Solving (what role did the use of Zeek play in the
detection or solution for this threat in someway)
* Events
* Call to Action
* Contribution/Contributor of the Month - Which would include an interview
with that person and or a description of the contribution
* Zeek-related job openings
* Other
* Contributors

More information
 Team Folder
<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Z0nanPClIf9-fL1XRr4I04FYw-_67Si0?usp=sharing>

--

*Amber Graner*
Director of Community

828.582.9469

Schedule time on my calendar here. <https://calendly.com/amber_graner>

 * Ask me about how you can participate in the Zeek (formerly Bro)
community.
 * Remember - ZEEK AND YOU SHALL FIND!!