[Zeek] Extending zeek with rust

Johanna Amann johanna at icir.org
Mon Jan 13 14:03:29 PST 2020

Hi Quentin,

> I've been looking at several plugin examples for zeek and I have
> failed to
> find a definite answer to the following question: is it possible to
> write
> zeek plugins in Rust? The obvious way would be to compile any rust
> implementation in it's own lib and then wrap it in C/C++ but I would
> be
> interested in something more "native".

Disclaimer: I have not used Rust myself.

The only API that we currently provide for writing plug-ins is based on
C++. So - Zeek has to be able to call into your code with the C++ API
that it expects, and your code has to be able to call back into Zeek.

The way that you outline - with the Rust code in its own library -
sounds like the easiest alternative.

If Rust can directly call into C++ - and can generate a library that is
callable in exactly the way that C++ expects, you might be able to make
this work without the wrapper - but after a short peek into the
documetation this does not seem trivially possible.

Johanna