[Netalyzr] What is TCP Connection Setup Latency?

Cory Riddell cory at codeware.com
Mon Mar 26 06:34:53 PDT 2012

Christian,

On 3/23/2012 6:13 PM, Christian Kreibich wrote:
> Hi Cory,
>
> On 03/23/2012 08:10 AM, Cory Riddell wrote:
> I was guessing the TCP connection setup latency should be roughly 3x the
> network latency because it takes three packets (for ack, syn-ack, syn).
> But today I'm getting 50ms for the network latency and 54 seconds for
> the TCP connection setup latency, so my theory is obviously incorrect.

This was a typo. I was getting 50ms for network latency and 54ms for the
TCP connection setup latency. In other words, it seemed to be working
correctly, but since the connection setup latency wasn't 3x network
latency, I was curious what it was measuring. Nicholas' answer supplies
more of the details.

Today things seems to be back to normal, so I'll chalk it up to my ISP
have problems. They have put a monitor on our line for the next week, so
hopefully that helps us find a problem.

Thanks for a very interesting tool. I imagine it's providing a treasure
trove of data.

Cory