[Xorp-hackers] Re: [Xorp-users] Template file problem

Mark Handley M.Handley@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:58:30 +0100

>It seems that the template file's format changes a little bit, including
>%modinfo, isn't it? :-)

Yes, it did change. CVS indicates it changed on May 18th, when we
aligned all the types in the template file with the types in the XRLs
because the mismatch was confusing.

The changes that were made were:

  ipv4_prefix -> ipv4net
  ipv6_prefix -> ipv6net
  uint        -> u32
  int         -> i32
  text        -> txt

This should have been discussed on xorp-hackers, but back then we were
still learning about which things to discuss on which mailing
list. Sorry about that.

>Another question, after launching XORP by xorp_rtrmgr,
>I got lots of Error messages:
>[ERROR xorp_rtrmgr: 4231 RTRMGR +116 userdb.cc add user ] Group "xorp"
>does not exist on this system,
>
>What does it mean?

Adam summarised this quite well.  Basically xorpsh currently has a
crude form of user permissions: if you're in the Unix xorp group, you
can enter configuration mode.  If not, then you can't.

In the long run, this crude permissions scheme should be replaced by a
more fine-grain access control mechanism, configurable through the
CLI.  But it's probably best to see how things are really used in
practice before we figure out what the real requirements are for
access control.

 - Mark