[Xorp-hackers] Xorp-rip strange error !!

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Wed, 11 May 2005 17:41:18 -0700

> I installed Xorp and enabled RIP in two FreeBSD Machines every one
> with three interfaces (Three IPs)
> The first one running ok. but the second one gives this error
> continually when I run xorp_rtrmgr:
>
> Xorp-rip:511 RIP+526 port.cc Port_io_Send_Completion
>
> even I used same config.boot for both (but with different IPs for
> every interface for sure)

Please send your configuration (the router that was failing), and a
copy of all XORP log messages. You don't have to CC the list with
all that info.

> So any suggestions to solve the problem ? Also how i can test the
> working Xorp-Rip machine to be sure that it routes correctly? can I
> just ping other interface IP from different station that connect
> directly to one of Ethernet cards in the xorp-rip working machine ?

You should use a sheet of paper and a pencil, and then "traceroute"
to each IP address in your testbed.
The first two to calculate by hand what the routing paths should be,
and traceroute to verify that the paths are indeed correct.
And, of course, don't forget "netstat -rn" to view the routes
installed in the kernel.

BTW, how many people share this email account, because I have the
feeling it is more than one person.
You may want to read some of the recent emails to xorp-hackers and
xorp-users, because it may be that RIP itself is not the best choice
for your project. The archives are:
http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/pipermail/xorp-hackers/2005-May/thread.html
and
http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/pipermail/xorp-users/2005-May/thread.html