[Xorp-hackers] Size of xorps binaries

Mark Handley Mark Handley <M.Handley@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:56:32 +0100

------=_Part_3266_2355960.1126360592582

I think for developers, it's something we probably have to accept. For=20
operational use, the first thing to do is build with the optimiser (to=20
improve speed not size), and strip the binaries (to improve size). This=20
makes a huge difference:

echidna.cs.ucl.ac.uk <http://echidna.cs.ucl.ac.uk>: ls -l xorp_bgp=20
-rwxr-xr-x 1 mjh mjh 34545650 Jul 13 18:10 xorp_bgp
echidna.cs.ucl.ac.uk <http://echidna.cs.ucl.ac.uk>: strip xorp_bgp=20
echidna.cs.ucl.ac.uk <http://echidna.cs.ucl.ac.uk>: ls -l xorp_bgp
-rwxr-xr-x 1 mjh mjh 2840504 Sep 10 14:55 xorp_bgp

We've discussed off-and-on over the years using shared libraries. So far,=
=20
we've not taken the plunge - it makes some things more complex, but it woul=
d=20
probably be essential if you wanted a relatively small memory footprint.=20
More non-embedded uses though, stripping the binaries seems to be=20
sufficient.

- Mark

On 9/10/05, Kristian Larsson <kristian@juniks.net> wrote:
>=20
> I just noticed after compiling xorp on my Linux
> laptop the size of the binaries are approximately
> twice that of the binaries compiled on a FreeBSD
> machine. Why is this?
> The xorpsh is just huge - 26MB! And the bgp
> process weighs in at a hefty 44MB.
>=20
> Could this also be the reason it takes ~30 seconds
> to start the fea, rib and an ospf process?
> IMHO that's a very long time.
>=20
> Anything that could be fixed or is it something
> you just have to accept?
>=20
> //Kristian
>=20

------=_Part_3266_2355960.1126360592582

I think for developers, it's something we probably have to
accept.&nbsp; For operational use, the first thing to do is build with
the optimiser (to improve speed not size), and strip the binaries (to
improve size).&nbsp; This makes a huge difference:<br>
p_bgp <br>
-rwxr-xr-x&nbsp; 1 mjh&nbsp; mjh&nbsp; 34545650 Jul 13 18:10 xorp_bgp<br>
p_bgp <br>
p_bgp<br>
-rwxr-xr-x&nbsp; 1 mjh&nbsp; mjh&nbsp; 2840504 Sep 10 14:55 xorp_bgp<br>
We've discussed off-and-on over the years using shared libraries.&nbsp;
So far, we've not taken the plunge - it makes some things more complex,
but it would probably be essential if you wanted a relatively small
memory footprint.&nbsp; More non-embedded uses though, stripping the
binaries seems to be sufficient.<br>
=3D"gmail_sendername">Kristian Larsson</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:kristian@j=
uniks.net">kristian@juniks.net</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class=3D"gm=
ail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt =
0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
I just noticed after compiling xorp on my Linux<br>laptop the size of the b=
inaries are approximately<br>twice that of the binaries compiled on a FreeB=
SD<br>machine. Why is this?<br>The xorpsh is just huge - 26MB! And the bgp
 it takes ~30 seconds<br>to start the fea, rib and an ospf process?<br>IMHO=
 that's a very long time.<br><br>Anything that could be fixed or is it some=
thing