[Xorp-hackers] VLANs

Patrick Marc Preuss deathdealer at gmx.net
Wed May 10 23:32:05 PDT 2006

Hello Kristian,

Kristian Larsson said the following on 5/10/2006 11:22 PM:
> I don't think the xorp project should spend it's
> time writing a vrrp or glbp daemon but rather if
> it's already out there we could integrate it so
> that it can be configured via xorp.

may or may not
from my point of view it should be realy intergrated because you may
configure the rounting on the
virual ip addresses and so the routing process need knowledge if we have
the ip address yet.

maybe somewehre in the future ;-)

>> Can we make a feature list site where we can see what is planed or
>> requested may be we can vote for features.
>>
> http://www.xorp.org/bugzilla/index.cgi

I think bugzilla is in someway inefficent for this because you need to
go throuh the whole to find the features planed
you does not become an idea in which release we plan to have this you
have to sort out bugs and not aproved feature requests
>> Have anyone seen an article or an implementation for WAN / Application
>> optimisation, like the Boxes from Peribit/Juniper. What does you think
>> about such things?
>>
> It's a bit too far in the future for me. First get
> stable basic routing things like interface
> configuration and properly working routing
> protocols with policys.

yes, you are right the basics must be running, but my primary question
was have anybody seen somthing in this direction  yet.
maybe only an abstract or so.
>>> Keeping it compatible with Linux and *BSD is
>>> probably something quite trivial but with Windows or
>>> something else I can imagine it's a whole
>>> different story.
>>>
>>> What I want is to start off somewhere. Right now,
>>> this seems like some holy grail that noone dare
>>> touch. By implementing most of the Vyatta work,
>>> ofcourse with some exceptions, I think we would
>>> have a good starting point.
>>>
>> YES
>>
>>> The vif syntax would probably have to change, I
>>> find the Vyatta way of doing it quite natural.
>>> Does anyone have any objections against it?
>>>
>> How does Vyatta does this? Can you give me a point to the Docs?
>>
> http://www.vyatta.com/twiki/bin/view/Community/VlanConfiguration

Thanks

>    Kristian.

Patrick