[Xorp-hackers] memory consumption of xorp_bgp

Yi Wang yiwang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Apr 17 17:22:19 PDT 2007

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to reduce the memory consumption of
xorp_bgp.

My recent tests showed a setup of a XORP BGP instance (version 1.4)
with:
- 2 eBGP peers (each dumps the full ~200k routing table) and 30 iBGP
peers (not exporting any routes) needs 1.25GB memory;
- similar setup with 2 eBGP peers and 50 iBGP peers requires 1.91GB
memory;
(- similar setup with 20 eBGP peers and 1 iBGP peer requires 2.58GB
memory).

This makes my 3.6GB RAM box challenged to do emulations of a
reasonably larger scale,
such as 10 eBGP peers (~2M routes in total) and 100 iBGP peers.

I was wondering if there is (relatively simple) way to reduce the
memory consumption
of xorp_bgp?  I understand there are more than one copy of each route
stored, such as
ribIn_table, cache_table (import and export branches), and
aggregation_table.  But
I'm not sure if I found all the permanent storages (probably not).

Any hints / advices?

Thanks,
Yi